The Fun and Crazy happenings of our Fun and Crazy FAMILY!!

Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Very Blessed Mama......

I had something hit me afresh yesterday evening as I was making the drive up to Huntsville, Texas to hang out with Shannon at Sam Houston State University. My girls don't just love me............they really, really like me. They like to "hang out" with me! I am blessed.

Tim has been out of town most of this week. He actually has been doing a lot of traveling here lately. AND I FLAT DON'T LIKE IT! I understand it, I respect his job but I don't like it one bit that he has to travel. It wasn't as hard when Matt lived with me every other week and when Shan was not in college. Now, when Tim leaves, I am pretty much by myself. I usually go see Stephanie and the grandkids or get caught up on things around the house. Fun, fun!

Shannon and I are both HUGE Aaron Watson fans. http://store.aaronwatson.com/bio.php He is an Abilene based artist with such a great sound. He is so dang down to earth and obviously has his head on straight. He talks about all the offers for the "big deal" and how he would rather do it his way and stay close to his fans and treat them like friends and family. He said instead of taking the elevator straight to the top (which he could easily do), he would rather take the stairs. He is so in love with his wife and speaks of her through-out his show. Shannon shared with me that he doesn't even allow women on his tour-bus, the other guys that are single can't bring women on. How awesome is that? He doesn't even allow temptation to walk through that door. All these qualities plus his incredible voice, hooked me from the first time I heard Shannon and Stephanie listening to him.

Anyways, he was coming to the local college hangout/honky-tonk there in Huntsville and Shannon wanted her mama to come up and go with her. She, I and my son, Dustin, went to see him about a month ago in Beaumont (yes, Tim was out of town). So, Shannon said we had to see him again. Actually I think she and would travel around just to hear him sing.

Shannon had been invited by a "guy" at college to go to the basketball game last night but she turned him down to hang out with her mama. She said some of her friends couldn't believe she was inviting her mom to come up and go out to the local college hangout. "they would never do that."

All this got me to thinking, "I am blessed." I remember a couple of very dear friends of mine over the years couldn't care less about their moms. Stephanie has had a friend or two that doesn't have relationships with their moms or really could care less about them. I don't understand this. I know it is real out there but I can't imagine it. My mom is one of my closest friends in this entire world. I treasure the moments I have with her like gold! She is funny. She is sweet. She is real. I love her.

Shannon was so fine to have her mama along, She was practically sitting in my lap. She pulled her chair close to mine and we had a blast. We sang and clapped and danced in our seats. She was not ashamed of her mama being there with her. She likes me. And, boy, do I like her!!! I was even invited to spend the night in her dorm which I did. I enjoyed meeting her room-mate and suite-mates!

I was telling one of Tim and my good friends here at work about it this morning. He and his wife and kids are like family to us. They moved from Chicago a few years ago and with no family here, they adopted Papa Tim and KK and crew as family. Shannon babysits for Bill and Traci just about every single weekend. Anyways, he said to me, "but Kim look, you are so tight with your mom and your girls grew up watching that and you and your girls are tight." He is right. We are tight. I love my GIRLS!!!!!!

1 comment:

Steph V said...

we do like you. a lot. a whole lot.

i hope bill is right. i am really hoping this means mackenzie will like me as much as i like you. and nana. of course, we are all pretty "tight" girls, so surely!