The Fun and Crazy happenings of our Fun and Crazy FAMILY!!

Saturday, October 4, 2008

One More Day!

It's Saturday morning. I'm still laying in bed watching some of my recorded shows from the week. Tim called and woke me up this morning at 7:23am (which was 9:53 Newfoundland time). They were hanging in out, chilling before they start packing up camp to head back in to Gander this evening so they can catch 6:00am flights in the morning to COME HOME!! One more day. I can't wait.

Speaking of the time difference - I did Google why Newfoundland is 2 1/2 hours ahead of us. Here are two explanations:

"Standard time was fixed in 1883 to prevent the myriad of short time differences that would result if every locality determined the mean solar time by different meridians, depending on the longitude of the particular place. Lines at every 15 longitude were drawn down a map of Earth to create 24 international time zones differing from each preceding and following zone by one hour. Because of political boundaries, such lines often depart from the strict 15 rule and sometimes zigzag or demarcate ares that differ by half an hour only."So here's my take on Newfoundland. Atlantic standard time is based on 60 degrees west of Greenwich. Newfoundland standard time is based on 52 degrees west. Eight degrees is more than half of 15 degrees, so itmakes sense for Newfoundland to be 30 minutes ahead.

Many people wonder why the Province of Newfoundland has a time zonethat varies by the half hour rather than the standard one hour. While the system of Standard Time employs 24 meridians, and each are the oretically the centres of 24 Standard Time zones, some adjustments have been made to the time zones for the convenience of inhabitants that lie within the zones. Newfoundland, (but not Labrador), lies squarely in the eastern half of its time zone, exactly three and a half hours from Greenwich. The Newfoundland government attempted to bring the province into conformity with the other Atlantic provinces in 1963, but withdrew in the face of stiff public opposition. Other countries that operate on the half hour time difference are: Suriname,Iran, India, Sri Lanka, and Central Australia.

Oh, that explains it. Now I understand.................I think. But anyway, all I know and care about this morning is that in about 30 hours my wonderful and HANDSOME best friend will walk through that door and I will melt as I always do when he looks at me!!!

Until then I am blessed to get to baby-sit my little Prince and Princess tonight and they will spend the night with KK and Aunt Shannie while Mommy and Daddy get to have a night alone and tomorrow they are going to the Texans game on mine and Tim's season tickets. I finally made the decision yesterday that as much as I would love to go to the game I want more to see my Husband the first second I can.

I also can't wait to see all the pictures Tim took and hopefully very, very soon J.R. will have all pictures taken this past week put on a CD. I'll share!!!!!!

Back to my shows...............

No comments: